THE IMPORTANCE OF HAND SANITIZER PLACEMENT IN THE WORKPLACE
- Entrances and exits. A single doorknob could potentially be the cause of a widespread illness in the workplace. In fact, new research showed that a within two to four hours, a virus placed on a doorknob was picked up by 40 to 60 percent of workers and visitors within the facility. In addition to frequently disinfecting doorknobs, light switches and other high-touch surfaces within the workplace, make sure to also provide a hand sanitizing station nearby to limit the spread of infection.
- Cafeterias, food courts and break rooms, and if food is consumed with germ-ridden hands, it’s easy to digest the germs and become infected with several diseases. One of the germiest hotspots in an office is the breakroom and kitchen, according to an NSF International study. Although hand sanitizer is not a replacement for anyone who prepares food, it can help eliminate certain germs.
- Meeting rooms. Meeting rooms are often packed with employees, clients and other visitors who exchange handshakes, thus swapping germs. By providing guests and employees with an easy-to-access hand sanitizing station, either near the door or at the table, allows them to safeguard their hands against germs before and after the meeting takes place.
- Employee desks. Desks, phones, computer keyboards and computer mice are key germ transfer points because people touch them so often. Considering that employees spend the majority of their day at their desks where they also eat, drink and even cough and sneeze, desks become “a minefield of viruses” which can live on a surface for up to three days. Placing individual hand sanitizers at desks keeps hand hygiene within reach.
- High traffic areas. Providing hand sanitizer outside of the office is also important. High-traffic areas like airport terminals, mall hallways and recreational centers should offer hand hygiene stations to ensure visitors stay as healthy as possible. Not only does this keep high-traffic areas clean, it helps improve the image of the airport, mall or rec center.